Sunday, September 20, 2009

Letter from Indonesia about The Joy of Not Working

This is an e-mail I recently received about The Joy of Not Working:

    From Indonesia about The Joy of Not Working

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: Fredy Irjadi
    To:
    Ernie Zelinski < ( at ) telus (dot, dot) net
    Sent: Monday, October 17, 2005 11:33 PM
    Subject: Introduction

    Dear Mr. Ernie Zelinski,

    First of all, let me introduce myself. My name is Fredy, from Jakarta - Indonesia. I had read your book of "The Joy of Not Working" and I can say that is a great book ever I read before.
    For your information, I work in Information Technology for more than 9 years and I'm 31 years old now. Since year 2000, I try to establish my own business with IT Developer team, specialize in web application development. So every time we got the project, we develop together and I can call myself and my IT Developer team as a work alchololic to cathch up the schedule of the projects.

    But when I read your book, I believe and realize that I had spent my free time with useless activities, like : shopping, watching television or movie, have a party with friends, etc which I admitted to myself that those activities indirectly make me as a consumtive person. That's why I try to change myself. Now, I have my own therapy for myself; starting with exploring my hobbies and intention in painting, art and some how (amazingly) I have some ideas to make a new educated game for children.

    Hm, actually, at this time, I want to discuss many things regarding to your books. This is the first thing that I want to discuss with you. I admitted that your book can bring a new concept of healthy life for white-collar workers. I live in Jakarta - Indonesia, the capital city of Indonesia, which most of people here live very consumtive with disadvantage activities, like drunk, smoking, watching tv all day long, sleep all day long, etc. I do want to share this new concept by starting to my friends. But I don't think that this new concept can be accepted by my friends.

    For your information, Indonesia is located in South East Asia, which the people is very protective with new concept or idea by changing their habits. And it's hard for the people to change their habit into the positive one. For example, the book of Steven Covey, "The 7 Habbits", the popular one. This books takes many years (about 4-5 years) to change the attitude of the people here.

    Another thing, the book of Robert Kiyosaki, "Rich Dad Poor Dad", until this time, many people try to manipulate each other by Quadrant. But according to me, the book teach people how to manage their cash flow between cash flow in with the cash flow out.

    And according to me, your book also can be used to manipulate other mind by quitting the job and enjoy life. When I read your book, I know what's the most important point that you would deliver to the people that people should use their free time by doing something that can bring advantage to their self or to others. I don't know whether my point is correct or not. But I believe that my point of your book is fit my life

    Now the question that I would like to discuss with you. How to deliver my point of your book to my friends regarding to the culture of people here that so hard to accept new concept of life or idea that can change their habbit ?

    I guess that' all for this time and I'm looking forward your reply. Thank you very much for your attention.

    Have a nice day.

    Sincerely,

    Fredy Irjadi

    PS : Have you visit Indonesia ? Or Bali maybe ? If you haven't, I can accompany you someday.
    Cheers


Here are some retirement resources to check out:






No comments:

Post a Comment